Monday, October 29, 2012

The Knitting Machine

Last week I went to Hobby Lobby unsupervised with a head full of half-formed ideas.  Very dangerous.  Luckily I managed to spend less than an hour there, and left with a reasonable amount of merchandise.  I probably bought more than I should have, but I didn't go totally overboard.  I'm calling it a win.

A few years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a knitting machine that had belonged to her mother-in-law.  I had never knitted before, and had never heard of a knitting machine before, but what the heck?  After letting it hang out in its box for several months, I dove right in and made a baby blanket for my nephew.  Well, by "dive right in" I mean that I made a lot of tangled messes, watched a bunch of YouTube videos about knitting machines, then figured out what I was doing enough to make a baby blanket.  Since then I have made a few scarves for family, and one mess that is still incomplete, and will probably stay that way.  It has been about a year since I used the knitting machine (probably because I spend most of my time chasing a baby), and I felt like giving it another go.

The knitting machine

I won't try and write a tutorial here, since I am probably the last person you want to have as a teacher.  If you're curious, Google it, and watch some of the YouTube videos that pop up.  I found them very helpful, and if a craft-impaired person like me can figure this out, I have no doubt that you can, too.

Casting on and ready to go.

The first several rows.

If my half-formed idea turns into an actual complete project, I will be sure to post an update.  For now, I'm just having fun poking away at this, and enjoying the pretty colors I picked out.  It may take me a little while to get it finished, since I only get to work in nap-length increments.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment