Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Squash Puree


What a drizzly, cold autumn day.  What's a girl to do?




Oh hey!  A big pile of winter squash.  I know these buggers are supposed to keep well as they are, but last year I had a bunch go all squishy on me (all over the windowsill of the bow window), and if there's one thing I hate, it's wasting food.  Besides, any project where I get to use a meat cleaver and a rubber mallet is totally worth my time.

Why the meat cleaver and mallet?  Well, squash are kind of tough to cut up, the roll when you least want them to, I am clumsy, and I would really like to keep all my digits.


Cleaver placement.

Part way through.
Ta-da!
To cut apart the squash, center the cleaver on the top of your squash and tap it with your rubber mallet.  Don't be like me and smack your thumb with the rubber mallet.  That hurts.  This is the best I could do for action shots.  Despite being a mom, I have yet to grow that third arm that I so desperately need.  I am also still waiting for the eyes in the back of my head to show up.

For the butternut squash, I just cut off the necks with a knife. 



After cutting all the squash you want to roast, scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp.  I find a grapefruit spoon to work best for that icky task.  Then put your squash cut-side down in baking dishes, and put about an inch of water in each dish.  This helps to keep the squash moist, and keeps it from fusing to your dishes.  Bake at 350 degrees and check it after about an hour.  It's done when you don't feel any resistance when poking it with a knife.



Allow the squash to cool a while.  No one wants blisters on their hands.



When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a food processor and whiz it up.



You can package your squash puree however you prefer, but I like to measure it so I know what I'm dealing with.  Two-cup portions works well for me, so that's how I bag it.



I package my squash in quart size Ziploc freezer bags.  I find it helpful to label each bag with what it is, the quantity, and the date.  Squeeze out the air, and flatten the bags out.  I freeze mine on a sheet pan, then store them upright in a box once they are frozen solid.

Since I didn't add any seasonings to my puree, I can use the squash in sweet or savory dishes.  I can make soups, pies, or just serve it up plain.

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy those winter squash!

No comments:

Post a Comment