Sunday, October 21, 2012

Planting Garlic



My garden:  It's a mess.  The whole thing froze about a month ago, and I am most of the way done with tear-down.  It's kind of a bummer time of year; the harvest is over.  No more fresh tomatoes.  But wait!  It's the perfect time to plant garlic!  I put garlic in darn near everything, and nothing beats garlic from the garden! 


First I churned up the soil in my chosen garden box.  Garden Goose keeps watch.



Next I got my garlic.  This is my second year growing my own garlic.  My Plan A had been to use some of this year's harvest as seed garlic, but I decided that I would rather eat it.  I ordered 3/4 of a pound of garlic online.  I chose two varieties of Porcelain garlic, hardneck garlic with only four to five large cloves per head. 



Then I separated the cloves.  Forty big, fat cloves of garlic.  Oh, did they smell good. 



I decided on spacing next.  Four rows of ten seemed like easy math to me.


 
My favorite tool for creating the little ditches for the garlic to live in is a pointy trowel, by the way.



I tucked the little buggers in.  This should be obvious, but make sure the cloves are set pointy side up.  They don't like to grow upside down.


 
Lastly, I tossed a layer of leaves over top for mulch.  Garden Goose will keep an eye on my garlic for me this winter, and with any luck I'll see delightful green shoots come spring!  Ah, something to look forward to.
 
Few things make a girl (or this girl, at least) happier than getting to play in the dirt for a while. 


2 comments:

  1. You are totally encouraging me to get out there and plant some garlic! This time of year seems so boring for the garen beds.
    Hil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's really easy. I like to plant the hardneck varieties because then I get garlic scapes in addition to the bulbs. Any crop I can plant once and harvest twice is a winner in my book.

      Delete