Monday, November 5, 2012

Ris-oat-to

A month or so ago, I stumbled across a recipe contest through a regional grocery store chain.  The contest was for recipes using steel cut oats.  As it happened, I had come up with a somewhat unusual use for oatmeal, so I sent in my recipe, and I won!

I came up with this recipe one night after I had put the baby to bed.  I was tired, hungry, and all I really wanted was a big bowl of cheesy carbs.  Isn't this what all girls want out of life?  A bowl of cheesy carbs?  Well, I was out of pasta and couscous, my usual go-tos, but I had a bunch of steel cut oatmeal.  I call this dish "risOATto" because (a) I am a dork, and (b) it is cooked a lot like risotto is, but it uses oatmeal instead.  Here's what you need:

  • 1 quart of stock or broth (flavor is dealer's choice)
  • 1 cup of steel cut oats
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend or dry basil
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
  • Pine nuts
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Salt to taste (optional)

Start by bringing your broth/stock to a boil in a medium saucepan with your garlic powder, Italian seasoning/basil, and salt, if using.  I make and can my own turkey stock, so that's what I use.


The label explains why garlic goes in everything.


Once your stock is boiling, stir in the cup of oats.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the oats are tender.  Stir often, or you will regret it (and have a big mess to deal with).  This takes about 20 minutes.



While the oats are simmering, slice the sun dried tomatoes.  I grew and dried these cherry tomatoes, and since they are already small, I just snipped them in half with kitchen shears.



Also get your spinach ready to roll.  I am a fan of minimizing dirty dishes, so I put my prepped veggies in the bowl I plan to eat out of.



Try not to trip on the oven mitt thief.  Also laugh at his too-large pajamas.



When you oatmeal is cooked, stir in the tomatoes and frozen spinach.  Simmer a few minutes longer, just until the tomatoes have re-hydrated and the spinach is warm.



Serve it up with a sprinkle of pine nuts and Parmesan on top.  You can use this as a side dish instead of pasta or rice, or as an entree.  Add diced cooked chicken or smoked sausage if you want, or different veggies.  This is an easy way to use up leftovers, and if you call it "upcycling" your leftovers, you sound all hip and green. 

Enjoy your oatmeal for dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment