Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Viking Hat for Julian

I live within walking distance of a fabric store.  Sometimes this is good, like when I am in the middle of a project and I realize I forgot to buy something.  Sometimes, this is not so good, and it is more of a temptation.

Today, while I was taking a shower, I realized that Julian HAD to have a viking hat.  Today.  And then I went shopping.

I don't really know how to sew.  I usually just decide that I can do something, and then it either works, or I fall flat on my face.  Today I did pretty well.  I even managed to do this entire project during Julian's afternoon nap.  He took an abnormally long nap today, but still.

I used this tutorial for the hat, as well as that author's tutorials for ear flaps and ears (for the horns).  The links are at the bottom of her tutorial.



Here I'm getting set up.  I have cut out the pattern pieces, and I am modifying them to fit Julian's head.  I have my iPad set up with the tutorials on screen.



I'm getting started on the sewing!  I drew the horns free-hand.  Yes, I use a lot of pins.  I'm not very good at this, remember?



Hey, it's just about done!  Yeah, I neglected to take more process photos.  I was in a bit of a hurry to finish while Julian slept.  From here, I cut the long "ear flaps" into three strips to braid.



Someone just woke up, and doesn't know why he's wearing a hat.



Here's a better shot.  It's not perfect, but I must say I'm pretty proud of myself.  Now we're all ready for the football game tomorrow!  Go Vikings!

No comments:

Post a Comment