Friday, January 11, 2013

A Blanket for Roan

A few months ago I made a knit and minky blanket for my nephew/godson, Roan.  My sister-in-law loved it, and asked if I would be willing to make another blanket for Roan, one that would hold up to more frequent washing than a knitted blanket.  Challenge accepted!  Besides, it's fun to make snugly things for babies.

I am going to call this a one-nap project, because it really should have only taken me one nap to make. 

I had some orange minky on hand, and I picked up some bright blue flannel to go with it.  I started by washing, drying, and, in the case of the flannel, ironing my fabric.




After that, I cut out two large squares from both fabrics.  This took me a ridiculous amount of time, and I can't explain why.  This may have been easier if I had a larger workspace for laying out my fabric.  I don't know.  Anyway, after far too much waffling, I ended up with two squares of fabric measuring 42 inches on each side.



I pinned the fabric, right sides together, and sewed around the edges.  I ran into some trouble here, and lost some time.  Minky stretches, flannel doesn't.  Finally, with the help of lots of pins and a walking foot, I had success.



I left a four-inch gap in the stitching along one edge, clipped the corners, and turned the blanket right-side out.  I pressed the edges, then top stitched about a quarter inch from the edge.



Done!  Next time I'll be able to save time with the cutting and stitching.  I am really happy with how this rather simple project turned out, and I was a little bummed to give it away.  Luckily I picked up some super cute dinosaur-print flannel to make another blanket for Julian!

No comments:

Post a Comment