Saturday, December 8, 2012

Baby Legwarmers

Carpe nap time!

All of my sewing gets done while Julian sleeps, and most projects take multiple days' worth of naps to complete.  Every now and again, however, I have a project that I can both start and finish during a single nap.  The viking hat I made for Julian was one of those projects.

Today I decided to make legwarmers for Julian.


Damian gave me these socks a few years ago.  I love them.  They are cozy, and cushy, and I wore them so much that I wore holes in the heels and toes.  I didn't want to toss them, though, partly because I am a sentimental fool, and partly because the leg parts of the socks are still in good shape.  These seem to be good candidates for legwarmers.



I cut off the holey feet.



Then I got to work.  My mother in law just gave me a new (to me) sewing machine.  It's super nice, and I am just learning how to work it.  I don't know what this foot is called, but it has a groovy adjustable guide.  I set it up so that my double interlock stitch would line up perfectly along the edge.




A close up of the edge when I finished.




Then I folded the edge under, pinned it, and stitched it in place with a zigzag stitch on its longest setting.  Were the double interlock and zigzag stitch the right choices?  I don't know; I was making this up as I went.



They look okay, though.  Next I had to wait for Julian to wake up so he could model them for me.



He was thrilled.  Or he's teething and wants lunch.



On the move!  I think the flames on his diaper make him go faster. 



This is the best shot I managed to get, and he's backlit.  Oh well.  He stood still for a second.



Anyway, I'm pretty happy with these.  Not a bad use of an hour and a pair of socks that needed to be tossed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment